Monday, January 08, 2007

Is 50 the New Shakespeare???

New York Post

THE MERCHANT
OF MENACE

By RAAKHEE MIRCHANDANI

January 5, 2007 -- HE'S gone from getting booked to writing them.

Fresh off his best-selling memoir, "From Pieces to Weight," 50 Cent is gunning for a new audience - one that'll temporarily trade in iPods for G-Unit books, the rapper's new line of hip-hop novellas out Tuesday.

"I didn't really read books for fun as a child," Fitty says hesitantly. "In the house it would be more magazine reading, like whatever my grandmother had, a bunch of Jet, Vogue, Essence and fashion magazines because the older people in the house would buy it. I wasn't a person who would read books for fun."

But he acknowledges that his books are motivating kids to read - the same kids who buy his G-Unit brand clothes, sip his grape-flavored Vitamin Water, watch his movie "Get Rich or Die Trying," play his video game and listen to 12 million copies of his first album. And he says it's because he knows how to speak a language they understand - street.

"I had people who didn't generally like to read books reading about my life. Kids who liked my music bought the book," he says proudly. "I went to my old public school, PS 80 in Queens, and the kids were interested. They actually think I'm a role model. And I say I don't know if I'm a role model. Maybe a saint would be considered a role model. Or someone who has nothing but positive energy constantly. I think I have defects of character like everyone else, but I like to think of myself as inspiring."

In his new series, which includes "The Ski Mask Way," "Death Before Dishonor" and "Baby Brother," the newly crowned Shakespeare of urban street literature says he's creating a series of books that complements the type of music he creates. Mostly inspired by his life on New York City streets, where he was famously shot nine times, the books all have common themes - drugs, sex, women, sex, incarceration and more sex.

Too racy for hormone-ridden teens? Not according to Fitty.

"When I read a book, my imagination is painting a picture. A kid should be allowed to read a book based on whatever, unless they're talking about how to build a bomb, and they go to school with it," he says. "I don't believe a film or a book will influence someone to shoot someone. I think the person was crazy before they saw the film."

He also says he's planning to make all the books into films and is starting with "The Ski Mask Way" this year. And, although he's not sure who will be starring in it, he is sure that he'll have a role.

"The novels are the harsh realities in certain situations. And the actual honest content in the music and the books are a spinoff of that reality. That's what's hip-hop about them," he says. "In 'The Ski Mask Way' particularly, there's a character named Seven that's based on me. And there's a portion where he's incarcerated and has to make decisions about his life and how things spin out of control. I've been in a similar space, but I was able to hold on and not spin out of control."

Currently the G-Unit gangsta says he's reading Robert Greene's "33 Strategies of War." And, while he's working on a coffee-table book featuring memorabilia from his shows as well as pictures from his childhood in Jamaica, Queens, he's also penning the "50 Laws of Power" with Greene - an urban take on the author's "48 Laws of Power."

"I'm also planning to make one of my ventures condoms," he says. "The kids and people in general become immune when you constantly beat them over the head - read a book, read a book, read a book. We have to be a little more creative about it. It's the same with safe sex. As opposed to being part of a safe-sex campaign, I'm going to make condoms and donate a part of the proceeds to HIV awareness."

raakhee.mirchandani@nypost.com


From the pen of 50 Cent

"The Ski Mask Way," by 50 Cent and K. Elliot

* "Ugly-Charles was tall and skinny, with a wide nose, several moles, and a severe case of unsightly razor bumps. Reno kept him around because he was loyal, and he trusted him with his women because no chick in her right mind would find him attractive."

* "Elsie, I'm sorry. I've never hit a woman. I have sisters, and a mother ..."

"I don't give a damn about your sister or your ho-ass mama."

"You're out of line now."

"F*&$ you." She terminated the call.

* Seven looked at Butter. "I can't believe this s$%ó."

"Believe it n$%ó&. You've been had NYC style. Now get the f%$* out of my car."

* He put the mask on and picked up his gun, cocked the hammer and pointed it at his reflection in the mirror over the dresser. "I want everybody to lay the f$&# down or else it's on." He laughed a loud wicked laugh. Then he whispered, "What have I become ... what have I become?" He took the mask off and sat on the edge of the bed, looked at the picture again. A tear trickled down his cheek.

"Death Before Dishonor," by 50 Cent and Nikki Turner

* "What you mean is that all I'm stressing about? I'm from the jungle and you know what happens to the weak animals in the jungle." He paused, waiting for her to respond. When she didn't he continued, "They become part of the food chain."

"Baby Brother," by 50 Cent and Noire

* Tony stopped twirling the knife. Baby Brother knew how sharp that blade was. Tony was almost as legendary as the Monster had been on the knife tip. Both of them had plenty of carved-up victims walking the streets of Brooklyn.

"That's right. I forgot. You graduated. No, you runnin' off to college to be some kinda f&%$in' professor or something. You need to claim you some territory and be a real man now, homey. Leave that college business for the herbs out in Canarsie and get yourself a grind. Business is good on this side of the bridge."


Another article of interest about 50 Cent:

http://weallbe.blogspot.com/2007/01/being-modern-hip-hop-mogul-part-two.html

No comments: